Friday, March 07, 2008

Politics

A year and a half ago I watched The West Wing. All seven seasons. Christine and I loved it. It perhaps, had more influence on my approach to politics than almost anything else. Not only was it incredible well-written and quite educational, the characters were endearing.

Recently I find myself addicted to the current political news and events. I remember when I was home in December and January, I was getting annoyed with the amount of coverage given to the presidential primaries. Now, it feels more like a comfort and something with which to indulge myself. Perhaps because I can choose what and when to listen.

My students want Obama to become president. When I asked a 17 year-old why, he said he's ready for change. I countered with the fact that we're getting change no matter what - President Bush is leaving office regardless of who his replacement is. My student didn't really have much to say in response.

My friends think Obama will get the U.S. out of Iraq. I realized I didn't know much, okay, anything, about the candidates' positions, so I went online to find out. Turns out all the candidates, except for Ron Paul, would leave combat troops in Iraq indefinitely. So much for that.

I'm also of the opinion that the way our system works, the president and congress are pushed toward the middle, no matter where they are on the political spectrum. Does that mean I'm cynical or apathetic? Not really. The politicians leanings at least affect which issues get addressed, even if those issues are moderated in order to pass.

With all these thoughts, I find myself missing a president we never had: President Jed Bartlett (as played by Martin Sheen).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:18 AM

    Personally, I love our system for the fact that it does move everyone toward the middle. I know this may mean slow times for needed change, but it also means a whole lot of stability and monitored progress for those changes that I find less favorable.

    Also, does anyone else think that if Obama gets the democratic nomination that this will in some way parallel The West Wing, with Obama playing the role of "Santos", our first potential non-white president with a fashionable wife and young family, and McCain playing "Vinnick", old but experienced veteran politician? I'm not saying everything lines up exactly, but still . . .

    At any rate, I LOVE The West Wing and it has thoroughly shaped the way I view what's currently happening in the presidential race.

    ReplyDelete