Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why Blog?

My friend Brian's post from the other day, Brutal Honesty, and the link there, started me thinking about why I blog. It made me realize that there remain people out there who think what they write is private. How is that possible? If we post something in a public forum, we can't expect to have private treatment. I have no idea who reads my ramblings other than the few of you who comment, and I assume more people read than comment. Maybe even my boss. Or an ex-boyfriend. Should I be mad at my annonymous readers? No. Should I be surprised when people I vaguely know talk to me about my posts? No. Should I try to keep my identity a secret? Again, no.

So why do I blog? It's all part of my effort to let people into my life, as I discussed in my last post. Over the last couple years, I've realized how much I need to work on speaking my internal dialogue aloud. I have a lot of conversations in my head and I often forget that people can't read my mind. Or I've thought about something so much, I don't realize I never acutally said anything.

That's it. This blog is part of my effort to let friends and family know about how and what I think - to an extent. I have a private journal that isn't published online and I exercise a lot of self-censorship regarding what is published. I realize that if I totally expose myself to the world I have to deal with the consequences. Just like I don't tell anyone who asks that I'm really not fine, I don't broadcast to the world all of my feelings and thoughts online. It's naive to think everyone cares.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that there are people out there that think their blogs or posts are private, I think there are people who want their blogs to be anonymous. Which is what was the case in the post I linked to. I got the impression people are reading her blog and using her words to slander her.

    I don't expect my blog to be private which is why I ask the question about honesty. There are people that would be offended and hurt if I was truly honest about somethings in my life. I pose the question because in so many arena's of the "Christian" world we talk about honesty and transparency. What does this truly mean and do we really mean it? I'm not so sure. Still thinking and investigating.

    ReplyDelete