Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Book Club Excitement

Sometimes my friends are amused at how entertaining I find my book club. Reading World War Z has so impacted my life, that I hope I'm at work rather than home when the Zombies arrive because it's a much easier position to defend.

Friday night was the most recent book club meeting. After discussing the book, we watched Dawn of the Dead. That's right; a zombie movie. I thought that it was common knowledge that if you're bitten by a zombie you become a zombie. My friend Anna said, "No Sarah, everyone does not know that." Which is silly, because what will they do when the zombies get here?

Anyway, when I arrived at the house that evening, I saw that the entire left side of their long driveway was empty. Score, I thought. I turned in, felt something crunch under my tires, and stopped. Tried to back up. Tried to pull forward. I didn't move.

I got out of the car; the driver's side wasn't on anything. I walked in front of the car, and onto a pile of gravel. The right side was firmly wedged into the pile. I went inside, and told Anna. She said, "I should have told you guys not to park in the driveway." Lee arrived, and before he got in the door, I solicited his help. He said, "Cool, I have a tow chain in the Jeep I haven't had a chance to use yet!" I told him that if I put the car in neutral, he should be able to just push me out.

We went outside, and Lee pushed. Then I put it in reverse and tried to help him push. Then he got the tow chain.

As Lee was attaching the chain, a man walked up. "Are you here for book club?" I asked. He said yes, and I told him he's at the right house; go on in.

After a couple tries, the tow chain worked. Lee said I owe him now, but I'm not sure that my little Hyundai can return that kind of favor. Nonetheless, I am indebted to Lee.

Book club never lets me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment