Thursday, January 15, 2009

Embassy Adventure

The title to this post is somewhat misleading, as the outing this morning was not terribly adventurous. I had to go to the embassy to change my name from my maiden name to my married name. Since my passport is 9 years old, somewhat worn, and without too many pages left, I decided to just get a new one.

I've been here for a year and a half, and this is the first time I've been to the embassy. I had all my paperwork and documents ready, so I was pretty sure things would go smoothly. My only exposure to US embassies is from movies and novels. I expected to feel a little bit more like I was in the US. That was not the case! It never felt like I left Cairo, except everything was clean and quiet.

I waited half an hour after taking a number and found out I completed the wrong form. So the guy behind the window gave me the form I needed and sent me to the cashier to pay the fee. I went back to him with everything completed, and he said to come back in two weeks and they'll have my new passport. Pretty smooth.

Jeff groaned when he found out how easy it was for me. He had a very difficult time getting his a couple years ago!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:49 AM

    Sarah,
    He probably just like you smile.

    Love Aunt Jo Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:50 AM

    ok, wait, major typos.

    Sarah,
    He probably just liked your smile.

    I think there are some crumbs under the keys on my laptop. That's what I get for letting the grandkids use it!

    Love again.
    Aunt Jo Rae

    ReplyDelete