Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Khan al-Khalili

We went to the big open-air market called the Khan al-Khalili on Sunday. Turns out that's the day most vendors take off. Oh well, we got a little glimpse of what it's like, and much less hassle than when they're all open.

I was admiring an alabaster pyramid in a shop where Christine bought something. The guy said it was 225 LE, but for me, because I'm nice to him, will only charge 185 LE. That was WAY out of my price range, and I wasn't really interested in buying anyway. I said thank you and started walking away. He came after me, asking how much I would pay for it. I said 40 LE, thinking that was low enough for him to go away and leave me alone. He thought for about 2 seconds, and said, "Okay." I was surprised, but I felt obliged to purchase after he agreed to my price.

So here's my new pyramid:



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:54 AM

    WoW, I didn't know the ancient Egyptians put lights in the pyramids like that.

    LOL

    Love Aunt Jo Rae

    ReplyDelete