Friday, September 29, 2006

The Dreaded Topic

I was talking to a friend a few months ago about finances. I asked him if he tithes and he responded negatively, saying that he regularly purchases food for the homeless and doesn't feel the need to tithe. (For those of you wondering, my definition of "tithe" is to give 10% of your earnings to the church you attend). He asked me if I tithe, which I do, and then he proceeded to speculate that because I don't earn very much, the amount I give is smaller and I must not notice it. I was surprised he would think that just because I make it a habit and don't earn much, I wouldn't notice. Every paycheck I am aware that 10% is not mine to spend. And I really notice it when I have to choose between things like new brakes or a visit to the dentist.

This is not the only friend I have that doesn't give to the church on a regular basis. It surprises me that these friends, who are dear, loving, and true believers, don't tithe. They are not alone; many people who attend church don't tithe. I suppose I'm surprised that something so basic in understanding who we are in Christ is not followed. The Bible clearly teaches that God will bless us when we give. This doesn't mean that God is some supernatural mutual fund, but he clearly rewards those who store treasure in heaven rather than on earth.

For me, tithing is an act of trust and obedience. I don't earn enough money to do everything the financial advice books tell me about and I get frustrated reading them. But if I were to keep my 10% and pay off my debt or do something equally good, it would be like telling God, "I know better what to do with my money than you do". This attitude is unbiblical and reveals a deep distrust of the Lord. Jesus teaches that God the Father cares more about his children than anything in nature, and the birds of the air always eat and the lilies of the field are beautifully dressed.

This whole issue brings up another question: Does money master me or do I master money? If money is my master, that means God is not in his proper position. This is unacceptable. If I cannot surrender every part of my life, including my checking account, to the Lord, then I am in rebellion. I am also a liar, as I say that I trust/love/obey God and yet keep control of this one area.

I also think that the church doesn't talk enough about finances. Why do we feel free to tell people what to do in culturally accepted moral issues (forgiveness, loving others, etc), but so many pastors and others feel that finances are a "private" issue? The benefits of living debt-free are innumerous and the reasons are biblical. It seems we have let the culture hijack the responsibility of teaching personal responsibility regarding finances. The only thing our culture seems to be good at is telling us how to spend money - I especially like the "use this credit card and x amount will be put in a savings account". What kind of logic is that?

I also need to make some disclaimers - I work for a church. My job is made more difficult when there isn't money to spend in order to accomplish my tasks. Also, I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty or writing with any particular person in mind. So if you happen to know me and don't tithe, please don't think I'm talking about you - this is a general musing and you are not my target.

Three years ago I created my own 3-phase "debt-free fast plan". This month I hit a milestone by paying off all my credit card debt. What a great feeling! Phase 2 is now half-way done, and scheduled to be completed by the end of the year, give or take a month. And I continue to tithe, remembering the times that God blessed and provided for me, and knowing that he will continue to do so.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:32 AM

    Wow! congratulations on your 1st goal!! when you reach Goal #3 you can take me and mom out for a REAL EXPENSIVE dinner :0)
    I agree with your logic, and hope others will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. Money is always a hot potato topic. It lands in peoples hands and the toss it away as fast as they could spend $3 at Starbucks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:33 AM

    The numbers are amazing ... I know that at most churches only about 10 - 20 % of the congregation tithes on a regular basis. And to put that in perspective, that is like saying that the front two rows in the chapel are supporting the rest of the church. I can't help but think of how free the church would be to do more evangelizing/missions and how Christians on the whole would be more positive/happy/content if they only obeyed consistently in regards to tithing. It is a serious problem in the church community, and sadly a problem that is easily justified away by many Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:23 PM

    I have a question in response. Is it Biblical to have to give that 10% to the church? And what counts as the church? If I give 5% to compassion or Heifer International, is that still the church? So the question then is this: Is it Biblical to give away 10%, knowing that it is not yours, or is it Biblical to give 10% to the church?

    A lot of times I don't trust the church to use my money. I know it isn't really mine, but sometimes a church seems like one of the least "efficient" ways of going about Christianity. I mean so what if we have 200 or 500 or even 1000 people on a Sunday, when only 10-20% of them will likely respond to any message. The actions of a church don't seem to merit the people and money put into it. Some other organizations however seem to be way more effective at reaching out to people in need.

    I do still tithe, just not always at 10%, though I do always give at least 10% to God's Kingdom.

    There is a church that I look up to near here, because they spend a couple hundred each week to rent out a school. They only have about 100 regular people in the church, but the money from that church body almost all goes to missions or ministry. I would tithe a full 10% if I went there.

    So are we doing things wrong? I don't know. How much money did it take Jesus to minister? How much did it take Paul? Some, but he was still a tentmaker by day.

    But then again, if everyone tithed, then the facilities and staff would all easily be covered and a much higher percent could go to real ministry, at least in theory. I'm not so sure I would trust the "church" that far. Throughout history it seems like the church likes to act rich. Well, I've rambled enough.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. B -
    Your point is well taken. My purpose in this article is to emphasize the need to trust God, not to define tithing. I gave a simple definition for the sake of clarification, but I realize that there are other, valid ways to understand this particular discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:10 AM

    Hey Sarah,
    I totally agree with your post! Christians should ALL tithe--it's an important part of our faith, and I think it's a lack of faith when one doesn't.

    I believe that one is responsible for tithing 10% to their church and if they choose to go above and beyond that by supporting some other ministry they can. I tithe my 10% and I have sponsored a child through Compassion for the last 5 years. I feel no remorse over giving that money to the church and worthy organizations, even when I have been in debt and struggled to pay for things (like when I was out of work for a year). Also, if we plan well and spend our money wisely like we should, then when hard times come, it won't be "SUCH a sacrifice" to tithe because we have budgeted for it. Even though I haven't always been wise with my money, I don't think that God's church should be the one to pay for my mistakes (I'm not big on making excuses for myself and my actions!). Anway, I'm glad you are in agreement with what the Bible teaches!
    --Nat :)

    ReplyDelete