Monday, September 25, 2006

Driving Without Escape

For months, I've been hearing a knocking sound in the rear of my car when I brake, so in July I took it in for a quote. Since July, the knocking went away, only to be replaced by a distinct grinding sound. When I took the car in on Friday (yes, over 2 months since the quote), I was told that I need something else to be replaced as well. I trust this mechanic and let him do the work.

Since the car has a standard transmission, I've been making a conscious effort to downshift rather than brake. When I picked up my car Friday after work, I drove down the street with the radio off and the windows down, testing the new brakes. There was no grinding, knocking, or other unhealthy sounds. For a while I thought the mechanic did a bad job because the brakes didn't feel quite right. Downshifting has become such a habit, that four days later, I still feel weird braking. It feels even stranger to brake and not hear further deterioration and to not feel guilty about putting off the work for so long.

This little experience in car maintainence started me thinking about escape mechanisms we all use. For me, downshifting was an alternative, or escape, from using of my brakes. Using the brakes was necessary, but because I did not give them proper attention, they became hazardous and less effective than they should be.

So here's the analogy: Using brakes is like facing real life. It is necessary for us to have the tools to deal with problems rather than avoid them. Downshifting to escape using the brakes works to some extent, but I still need the brakes in order to stop completely.

We live in an escapist culture. The obsession with media is an easy place to start. When we go to a movie or pick up a novel or watch 24, we allow ourselves to become absorbed in a fictional world. We would rather watch TV than spend time cultivating relationships. The number of people with addiction problems in our culture is staggering, and it's because people don't know how to cope with life. They need the mind-altering effects of alcohol or drugs to deaden them. How many of our children are on behavioral medications? Sometimes it seems that parents would rather medicate kids because it's an easy way to produce desired behavior. In facts, drugs have become an escape for all sorts of problems from fighting pain to sexual disfunction to growing hair. Why does our society need to escape?

This need is overwhelming. What is wrong with going bald? Like painkillers (and the ensuing addictions), it feels like society wants to treat symptoms rather than address underlying issues. Maybe part of the reason is that the real causes of pain expose our helplessness. If we can control the symptom, there's no need to acknowledge that we can't control the disease. If we can escape from working through relationships, whether by divorce or other means, we can excuse our shortcomings by blaming each other.

Thinking about this can be a downer. But honestly, it makes me more thankful that I follow Jesus, who has authority over all things. I've been reading the book of Mark for a class, and I am struck by how many times Jesus demonstrates authority over everything: sickness, death, demons, and sin. Here's an example:
Jesus says, "Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up, take your mat and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins . . . ." He said to the paralytic, "I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home." He got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this!" (Mark 2: 9-12)
Jesus can forgive our sin. I think if I were faced with the reality of life without forgiveness I would choose escape. Anything to keep my mind off the hopelessness and lack of purpose in life. But Jesus gives life to the death in which humanity is trapped. Perhaps this is the ultimate escape that the world tries to counterfeit.

Escape isn't always bad. I enjoy movies and TV (I'm currently a West Wing addict). Vacations are very helpful to rest and reenergize. People I know have legitimate needs for anti-depressants and other medications. But there is such a thing as too much. If I never got new brakes, I'd be in a lot of trouble. The escape of downshifting only works for a little while and was not worth the anxiety caused by not having decent brakes. And the fact that I grew so comfortable with my escape mechanism is alarming - the solution felt abnormal, the escape had become preferable. And that's the problem.

I have more thoughts on this subject... perhaps I'll post more or edit later.

1 comment: