Monday, April 07, 2008

Friday's Concert

The concert Friday was tons of fun. I arrived half an hour early, thinking that would be early enough to get a seat, but it wasn't. The place was filling up fast. Since it was just me, I was able to get a seat in the main section, next to a woman named Barbara. We chatted for a while. Then the concert started. There was Graham Kendrick, the 15-voice gospel choir from England (apparently they have them in the UK!) and a trumpet player, Raul Donavera (I think I got his name right). He was fantastic. Barbara said he's from Spain.

At one point toward the beginning of the concert, Raul got to play a couple numbers. It was fun, and amazing. The flugelhorn is one of my favorite instruments, and he is a fantastic player. Here are some video clips:




Unfortunately, this is the point where my camera batteries died. The last song performed was the praise song that goes "We worship you/Hallelujah, hallelujah/We worship you/for who you are... for you are good!" The band continued to play for probably another 30 minutes, trading solos. The bass player was incredible. When it was Raul's turn, he held his flugelhorn in his right hand and a trumpet in his left and traded between the two. It was so cool!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:47 AM

    It sounds so great - thanks for the video clips! I wish I could have been there - I'm sure I would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:23 AM

    Wow! I wish i could have heard the whole thing. That guy is really gooood!
    dad

    ReplyDelete