Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Celebration!

Today was my last day of class, and I turned in my last assignments. Hurray!! I have completed my MA program. I am now the most educated member of my family, which is weird to say because I don't really feel any different than before.

Tonight after the sun went down, Jeff and I went out for a celebration dinner. We were both craving American food, so we decided to splurge and go to Chilli's for the first time. We walked to where we thought it was along the Nile... and were wrong. So we grabbed a taxi going back the other way, and realized that we had turned right when we should have turned left to find the restaurant. Turns out the restaurant was TGIF and not Chilli's, but we didn't really care at that point - just hungry!

We had a great meal. They had a promotion going that we both got - soup, steak with veggies and mashed potatoes, and dessert for only 70 pounds, or approximately $15. I had iced tea, Jeff had several frozen strawberry lemonades, and we indulged. That was the first steak I've had in a loooong time, and it was much better than the steaks at similar establishments back home. The meal was spoiled for about 5 minutes, when after a Santana song, a hip hop song filled with every obscenity played over the sound system. We had to just stop the conversation and let it finish demanding, "Who the **** you talking to," because it was so distracting. I understand that they don't understand what is inappropriate language in English, but it was still weird to be sitting in a family-friendly restaurant and hear such things.

Overall, it was a good meal. And the weather had cooled enough to make the walk back home quite pleasant.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Congratulations, Sarah!! You are finally finished the MATEFL, yay! It wasn't too long ago that I finished the program so I can still empathize somewhat. Glad to hear that you ate a well-deserved steak and potatoes dish - nothing like good, old comfort food to make one feel better. Plus, you need to nourish the little one.

    About the filthy music that is played sometimes in public places, it reminded me of a time when I was at a clothes shop in City Stars mall and some FiftyCent rap song was playing with MF this and MF that. I looked around, astounded wondering if anyone else was affected by this and they weren't - everyone is completely oblivious! I thought, if only they knew what the lyrics were actually saying...!

    Anyway, congrats to you. It was a long, hard journey, but you did it. If I were there, I'd treat you too a nice bowl of koshary (and a steak afterwards too, now that I can afford one).

    Alice

    ReplyDelete