Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First Glimpse of School

Today I went downtown to visit the school. I mostly wanted to time how long the walk and Metro ride would take. While I was downtown, I met Michelle, whom I have been emailing. After visiting the school (very uneventful, I’ll learn everything tomorrow at orientation), I went on a quest to find a money exchange shop. I headed off. After a few blocks, I stopped in Radio Shack. It’s strange how I trust familiar names. Plus they are air-conditioned. The man there directed me down the street. I went where he told me, but didn’t see anything. So I asked a woman on the street. Through some sign language and her asking a different man, they directed me to a commercial centre – basically a mall (where everything was closed). I saw a bank and gave up trying to find just the exchange office.


After the bank (this took 45 minutes from when I started), I headed toward the place where I was to meet Michelle. I saw a couple interesting sights. There was one guy sitting on the edge of the sidewalk facing the buildings, with a .45 on display. It looked like he was cleaning it, but it was partially disassembled on a stand, facing the building. I somewhat nervously walked by, every gun safety lesson ever learned telling me to protect my ankles.

I took a picture of the street (above), mostly for my dad. See anything familiar? I zoomed in for you.
This is a pretty typical scene. It’s like this everywhere I go. This is why I didn’t want to live downtown! Maadi is a little quieter.

No comments:

Post a Comment