Sunday, August 26, 2007

Metro Madness

I'm enjoying creating alliterative titles. I know. I'm a geek.

This afternoon I went and visited my host family. They are wonderful! I will be sharing a room with a 15-year-old. the room is big and air conditioned. I move in tomorrow.

The flat is a good 30 minute metro ride.

So this afternoon when I got to the metro station, I had to remember how to do everything. After staring at the Arabic map for a few minutes, I figured out what line to take. I also had a chance to observe everyone buying their ticket so I knew what to do. Getting there was no problem. I spent about 4 hours with them talking, eating, sleeping. It was nice.

On about the fourth station on the way back, the train stopped to let people out. The the doors stayed open and all the lights went out. Apparently it was done for the evening. So everyone on the crowded train leaves and goes across the platform to the train on the other side. I figure that must be the right train. However, I didn't want to be that close to people and decided to wait for the next train.

The next train came and I got on. I was looking for Midan al-Tahrir, but didn't see the station. I knew the station is underground (the metro goes above ground outside downtown), so when we resurfaced, I asked someone where Midan al-Tahrir is. It had occured to me that I didn't pay attention to the name of the station when I originally got on. They told me I'm on the wrong train and pointed to the train going the other direction. I quickly got off and went to the next platform.

On that train I got on the Women's car (the first car on the train is reserved for women only). Once on, I asked which station and was directed there. Finally!

The entire experience took about an hour. Then the always harrowing taxi ride back to the hotel. I'm tired!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:42 AM

    I just wanted to be the first comment on one of your blogs. HAHA!
    Glad things are well and you are keeping up your sense of adventure. Go Sarah.

    ReplyDelete