Sunday, August 26, 2007

Out and About in Zamalek

This morning I got up at 7 a.m. It’s my first day in Cairo, and sleeping any later was impossible! I was pretty hungry, but my thirst was tremendous. While the air conditioning is heavenly, it does dry out one’s throat!

I got up and went downstairs to eat breakfast on the terrace (there’s free WiFi there as well). It was very simple: a hard-boiled egg, some bread, pre-packaged jam, butter and cheese, tea and orange juice (Tang). It was perfect. I knew those foods wouldn’t upset my stomach.

Then it was time to get out of the hotel. The last thing I wanted to do is sit in my cool room and mope about not knowing anyone and missing everyone back home. The first order of business is a watch battery. This is something I didn’t have time to do before I left.

I left the hotel and started walking. Most of the shops were closed, which was strange because it was after 10 a.m. I wandered around for quite a while. I noticed things from when I was here 7 years ago – the gas station I walked by every day. I saw the Italian restaurant where we liked to eat. I passed many embassies, Spain, Austria, and so on. I saw the Hardee’s, which was great.

I had also wanted to stop by the AUC dorm where I stayed last time, and find out if I could sort out my housing application (I need to take myself off the waiting list and make sure the deposit check is cancelled). Turns out I have to clear that up at the main campus, which is what I expected. I continued walking.

After asking around, I found a Radio Shack, which then directed me to a different store. Finally! My watch is working!

I wandered on back to the hotel, stopping to buy some bananas, and apple and water. I feel like I’m getting ripped off at some of these places, but I can’t do much about it.

It was good to walk around and reacquaint myself with what it is like here. The men stare, the women wear headscarves, and it smells funny. That is something I had forgotten – the way this city smells. It’s not awful, but the humidity sucks up all the pollution and garbage and the scent hangs in the air. It’s definitely not the fresh smell of Oregon air.

I had also forgotten how bad the sidewalks are. Every 10 or so feet there is an alleyway or a driveway or another street, and the curbs range anywhere from 6 to 18 inches. Parts of the sidewalk are crumbled away, revealing sand (which collects garbage). There are trees growing that block the way, little shops selling candy and cigarettes, guard booths, and guys randomly sitting in chairs all on the sidewalks. There is also the fun task of dodging the water dripping from all the A/C units. In addition to the water, there is also the plants that are put in the sidewalk to catch the drippings. Sometimes there are hoses attached from the unit to a tree to water plants. Often is easier to walk on the street, which everyone does.

All in all I wandered for about an hour and a half. I’m feeling much more capable and mentally stable today. It is tremendous what sleep can do for my mood!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:26 PM

    What is about men sitting around randomly outside? Is seems like they do that in many other countries, often at the expense of the women who are frantically taking care of the kids, running the shop, or a long list of other tasks. In China most of the outdoor-sitters were shirtless, and many were only in tighty-whities. :-)

    I'm so glad you're exploring rather than moping! Way to re-acquaint yourself with the area. Be sure to send/post pics when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is higher unemployment in 3rd world countries... If you don't have a job what else are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete