Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Wedding

Thursday night I went to a wedding with my hosts. Two coworkers were married (to each other). It was a Coptic ceremony, which is quite different from anything I've seen before. We were a little late, the ceremony had begun when we entered the church at 8:34 pm. By 9:12 we had finished fighting traffic and were on our way home.

The church was hazy, filled with incense. People were talking and greeting us, women would break out in ululations at random moments, and pretty much anyone who wanted to could go up to the stage and take a picture. You'll notice people doing that on the video - take notice of the small boys who just want to be where the action is. I saw them cover their ears at one point; the women can be quite loud!

After the ceremony, we had to go outside where the bride and groom were standing in a receiving line. I use the word "line" loosely; since people could exit two sides of the church, it was more like a receiving mob. Complete with some guy moving a giant flower arrangement behind the newlyweds. I was almost taken out by sword-like grasses.

I asked if I had to greet them, and was told yes. So I shook hands, said mabrouk (congratulations) and smiled. Fortunately the receiving mob didn't leave much time for questions!

Muslim weddings are quite different. I've never been, but I've been told about them. The actual ceremony is quite short, a business agreement between the groom and the bride's father. The party is where all the action is. My building is near several big hotels. Every weekend, without exception, I hear wedding parties. Even as I type the music and ululations can be heard from my room on the 10th floor. The building is also near the Corniche el Nil, or the road along the Nile River, which wedding parties like to parade down with a particular honking pattern. It's quite exciting.

For an interesting article about marriage in Egypt, check out this link.

2 comments:

  1. And while at the wedding, how much were you thinking about your forthcoming one and what you want to have done at it and the reception?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how often do you get a chance to use the word "ululation", and not once but twice?

    Incidentally, on Answers.com, if you look it up, the first two ads are for belly dancing supplies, and for a dating site for single muslims. (Do you suppose that only the fathers go there?)

    ReplyDelete