Thursday, September 27, 2007

Adjusting

I’ve been in Cairo over a month now. (Only 82 days left till Winter Break, for those counting!).

I keep wondering when I’m going to adjust to life here. When will I get used to the Sunday – Thursday work week? In my mind, Monday is still the dreaded work day, except now I say Monday when I should say Sunday. Church is on Friday, and I still say, “In church on Sunday…” I know I shouldn’t be too hard on myself and that four weeks won’t blot out 27 years of culturalization, but still. I’ve managed to tune out all the noise, unless it is impossible (like the blaring horn just outside the classroom today). And I find myself trying not to stare at foreigners. They stick out so much! I wonder if I stick out like that.

I feel like I’ve been here forever! I think such a huge change has brought that feeling on. This week I’ve felt like I’m in a daze, just floating through my classes and not really being there. I’ve been forgetting random things (meetings, class photo, etc) and I’m lucky to catch them without being completely unreliable.

I’m already tired of the daily commute. I’m tired of being sweaty all the time. Even though Fall is well under way, it is much like summer at home. Afternoons in the low 90’s, and at night it doesn’t drop below 70°.

Okay. Enough complaining!

1 comment:

  1. Weather here (well, in Grants Pass today): Rain... lots of it supposedly. Wind. Cool.

    ReplyDelete