Thursday, September 06, 2007

Eating

I find that I'm not eating much. First of all, it's too hot! Also, I discovered how much I rely on a microwave, and without one, it's a lot of effort. This evening I had cold leftovers from last night because it's easier than reheating them on the stove. My host mom made Maahshi (means "stuffed") with bell peppers, zucchinni, eggplant and cabbage (stuffed with rice). It's one of my favorite Egyptian dishes.

Anyway, I had dinner alone the other night, and took pictures. This is a very common Egyptian meal (not usually the main meal, but a snack or breakfast). The beans are fava beans... kind of like refried beans. It's called fuul (pronounced 'fool'), and is eaten with bread by hand.


Here's the stove, with fuul on the right.

Here's up close.


And here's my dinner. From left to right: White cheese (a soft, salty cheese from buffalo milk); chopped up cucumber, tomato and onion; fuul (with the beans mashed up); Egyptian bread.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:08 AM

    What a task to make a meal- guess why they call it cooking! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete