Thursday, September 27, 2007

Reminiscing Pink Martini

The other night I was self-indulgent. I usually end up staying up way too late, grading papers, reading, or just listening to my own thoughts about everything that needs to be done. Instead of doing that, I played computer games and listened to all three Pink Martini albums.

As I was listening, I started remembering everything associated with this band over the last few years. The first time I heard them, I was late to work. I stopped to give some guy a jump and ended up driving him to a gas station. While I was waiting, Pink Martini was in the KINK live performance lounge (www.kink.fm, my favorite radio station). After hearing a live version of Hang on Little Tomato, I was hooked.

I went out and bought the album. Christine and I started watching them on PBS whenever possible. She bought me their first album. I raved about them to all my friends.

Michelle, knowing how much I love this group, invited me to a company event at the zoo last October where Pink Martini was supposed to perform. We had a lot of fun, eating and drinking the free stuff, and waiting on the lawn for the show to start. It never did. The main guy disappeared and the show was cancelled.

The make-up concert was December 23 at the Schnitz. Michelle was out of town, so she gave me the tickets. Christine and I had so much fun!! We are such geeks, we went home, turned on PBS, and guess who was on J

Then Jeff, before we were dating, knew how much I liked them and bought tickets for the new album debut. By the time the show came, we were able to make a date out of it. Dinner before was wonderful; I had lamb at Red Star. The concert was fun, as expected. Jeff bought me the new album, and we danced in the seats along with everyone else.

Finally, Jeff, being the wonderful man that he is, bought tickets for a July concert at the zoo but was unable to attend. I took Amanda with me, and we got the VIP treatment. The concert was sold out by the time Jeff bought the tickets, and all that was left was VIP. It was wonderful! Reserved parking, a reserved blanket, dinner and dessert served, and souvenirs! Amanda and I had fun watching everyone dance in front of the stage. There were some humorous, some creepy, and many tipsy couples.

Last week I was at a coffee shop in Cairo, and I heard a Pink Martini song. No kidding. One of my classmates knows the band.

Ahhh. The memories. If you haven’t heard Pink Martini, I suggest you go right now, and buy all the albums!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:51 PM

    All three albums at one time - wow! I didn't realize that the first time you heard them was when you picked up that guy by the side of the road. Oh, I'm inspired to go listen to Hey Eugene now (although strangely still not inspired stop for guys with dead batteries . . .).

    ReplyDelete